Different than the WS281x family, the AP10x family uses data and clock, which allows faster data rates and parallel communication (if one LED malfunctions, others keep working!). The SMD package includes 6 pins: Data In, Clock In, Data Out, Clock Out, Power and Ground. These LEDs are also included in:
- Flexible Strips
- Matrices and Arrays
- Rigid Strips
You can use these fantastic LEDs to make a long chain that can be controlled using only 2 pins from your microcontroller and your favorite compatible with DotStar library.
Each LED looks like a standard 5050 RGB LED, however instead of having individually controlled red/green/blue LEDs inside, there’s a little chip that receives a high-speed Data/Clock signal, which determines the LED color out of the more than 16 million possibilities!
To get started, power them using 5VDC and chain the boards together by tying the Clock/Data-Out pin of one to the Clock/Data-in of the next one in the chain.
- 10-pack of original 6-pin APA102C RGB LEDs
- 6-pin SMD package: VCC (Power), GND (Ground), DI (Data In), CI (Clock In), DO (Data Out), and CO(Clock Out)
- Multiple LEDs can be chained by tying DO/CO and DI/CI pins
- Fully addressable LEDs allow for individual control of color and brightness
- 5050 (50mm x 50mm) white SMD package makes it easy to use in your own designs or to replace a damaged LED in your product
- Compatible with Adafruit DotStar LEDs